Good day to you my readers! I’ve been putting together a little study to go through for a women’s Bible study that I will be facilitating on August 10, this year. After devoting some time to prayer, I decided to go ahead and put here on my blog. May the Lord use this to enlighten you by bringing you into a deeper and vibrant relationship with Himself. May the Lord bless you as do this!
What is the definition of Bondage?
What is the definition of Freedom?
What does bondage and freedom look like in your own life as it right now?
Now let’s begin.
Genesis 15:12-16 ESV
As the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell on Abram. And behold, dreadful and great darkness fell upon him. Then the LORD said to Abram,” Know for certain that your offspring will be sojourners in a land that is not theirs and will be servants there, and they will be afflicted for four hundred years. But I will bring them judgement on the nation that they serve, and afterward they shall come out with great possessions. As for you, you shall go to your fathers in peace, you shall be buried in a good old age. And they shall come back in the fourth generation for the iniquity of the amorites is not yet complete.”
Joseph who was the great grandson of Abraham, whose mother was Rachel whom Jacob had loved. Joseph was 17 years-old and he shepherded the flock along with his brothers. One day he brought a bad report about the sons of Bilhah and Zilpah. Jacob who was now called Israel and he loved Joseph. Israel made him a coat of many colors for which his brothers hated and were jealous of him for it. Joseph had two dreams and when the brothers heard them they hated him all the more. Let’s read what they were:
He said to them, “ Hear this dream that I have dreamed: Behold, we were binding sheaves in the field and behold my sheaf arose and stood upright. And behold your sheaves in the field gathered it and bowed down to my sheaf.” His brothers said to him are you to indeed reign over us? Or are you indeed going to rule over us? So they hated him even more for his dreams and his words.
Then he dreamed another dream and told it to his brothers and said, :”Behold I have dreamed another dream. Behold the sun, the moon and eleven stars were bowing down to me.” But when he it was told to his father and to his brothers, his father rebuked him and said to him.” What is this dream you have dreamed? Shall I and your mother and your brothers indeed come and bow down to the ground before you? And His brothers were jealous of him, but his father kept the saying in his mind.
Fulfillment of these prophetic dreams happen years later after the Brothers have sold him into slavery in Egypt. Years pass as Joseph gets sent to prison unjustly and there he interprets the dreams of fellow prisoners but also of the Pharaoh which were also prophetic for each of the dreams were fulfilled.
The dreams I want to focus on are the ones, Joseph told his family and the one to Pharaoh.
Please READ the following:
I.Can you identify within these five chapters that we have read this month the following:
- The fulfilment of the dreams Joseph told his father and brothers in Genesis 37:6-12.List the evidence that you find and why you think it is the fulfillment of the two dreams given by Joseph to his family?
- Is there evidence of the fulfilment of the dreams of Pharaoh which were interpreted by Joseph if so please list it and why it is evidence for fulfilment of Pharaoh dreams?
- How does Genesis 46:1-4 relate Genesis 15:12-21 and Genesis 48?
II. From reading John 8:31-38 consider the following:
- “ We are offspring of Abraham, and have never been enslaved to anyone.” How is it that you say, “You will become free?” Is this a true statement made by the Jews in John 8:32?
III. Does John 8:32 relate back to the chapters we read in Genesis? If so, list the chapters and verses below:
- How is the presence of God represented in chapter you have read in Genesis and John?
- How has the presence of God been made known to you?
IV. How does the chapters we have read relate to you personally?
V. In what ways have you or were you enslaved to destructive sins that have or will lead you away from the Lord? Take time right now and go before the Lord and ask Him if there is anything that you are currently enslaved to and ask Him specifically how He wants to free you from it?
- Has the Lord spoken to you about anything you are enslaved to? If so, write down what the Lord has shown to you and choose only one person to share that with and pray together with that one person about how to get set free from it.
- If you are willing to share how the LORD has used this study in your life please do so. I want feedback. If not it is completely okay.